• 208 Sutton Way
    Grass Valley, Nevada
  • TTY
  • Toll-Free
  • Hot-Line

For general wildfire information see the 211 Wildfire Resources web page. https://211connectingpoint.org/wildfire-resources/
Wildfire resources are provided by 211 Connecting Point.
Specific incident recovery information may appear below. 


Connecting Point offers Recovery Navigators for Nevada County residents impacted by the River Fire. Call 211 or 833-342-5211 to receive a referral to a Navigator who will contact you within one business day to offer assistance during your recovery process.

Navigators will work one-on-one with individuals and families that have been impacted by the River Fire. Meeting regularly and as needed, the Navigators will be able to work with you step-by-step throughout the recovery process, provide you with resources for any need that comes up, navigate the County, State, Federal re-building processes that you will encounter, advocate for additional resources as needed, provide a physical place where you can print, fax, email, and copy documents, and keep you up to date with any updates as they are released.


Federal – On August 24, 2021, President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. approves California Disaster Declaration. The President’s action makes Federal funding available to affected individuals in the counties of Lassen, Nevada, Placer, and Plumas.
Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can apply for assistance by the following means:
  • Register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. More info at https://www.fema.gov/assistance/individual
  • Call FEMA’s Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 (1-800-621-FEMA)
  • If you are hearing and speech impaired and use a text telephone (TTY), you may call 1-800-462-7585 (TTY)
  • If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), please use the standard toll-free FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362
The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7am to 10pm (local time) seven days a week until further notice. General questions or comments about FEMA disaster assistance for individuals and families can be emailed to askia@fema.dhs.gov.
Notice of White House California Disaster Declaration here.

State of California – Office of Emergency Services
  • General Cal OES information here.
  • 2021 Current Incidents here.

County of Nevada
  • River Fire Recovery page – Find links to many recovery resources including the County of Nevada departments that have an active role in the wildfire recovery process.
  • River Fire FAQs – Please review the River Fire FAQs about the phases of debris clean-up, what actions you might be able to take now with your property, and what actions are not permitted at this time based on current guidelines given in the Public Health Officer’s River Fire Order.  Still have a question about the debris removal process? Contact the Environmental Health Department at 530-265-1222. 
  • Property assessment – If you are a property owner, contact the Assessor’s office soon so your property value can be re-assessed and your property taxes lowered.
  • Right of Entry Form – coming soon. Please review the document Understanding the Right of Entry Form to prepare to fill out the Right of Entry Form. A Right of Entry (ROE) form permits the county and state to access your property for cleanup activities. By signing an ROE form, you are signing up to participate in the program. The form extends permission to CalRecycle and its contractors to perform the cleanup work. The County will post the official Right of Entry form to ReadyNevadaCounty.org/RiverFireRecovery and send an update via email to people on the River Fire survivor list when it is ready. 
  • Understand Your Option to “Opt-Out” of Debris Removal – Owner/Operator is “Opting-Out” of State Clean Up Program. If you prefer to privately (without state assistance) clean up your property, you will need to fill out the Private Property Opt-Out Debris Removal Requirements form rather than the Right of Entry Form. This form will go through all the requirements and guidelines to move you through a private clean-up. 
  • Replace Vital Records for Free – Fire survivors who need to replace lost or damaged DMV-related documents may do so at a local DMV field office. DMV will waive fees for River Fire survivors through Sept 10, 2021 at the Nevada Co and Placer Co offices. You may also have Nevada County Birth, Death, and Marriage records replaced at NO COST per Governor Newsom’s Emergency Proclamation at the Nevada County Clerk-Recorder’s Office. Contact 530-265-1221 or visit Vital Requests for more information. Nevada County will only have records for vitals that occurred in Nevada County. Divorce records are located at Superior Court in Nevada City Superior Court of California. Visit California Secures Presidential Major Disaster Declaration to Support Wildfire Response and Recovery Efforts 8.24.21 | California Governor for more details on fires in California.
  • Moratorium Against Non-Renewal or Cancellation of Residential Property Insurance Policies – Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara has issued a notice to insurance companies requiring a moratorium against non-renewal or cancellation of residential property insurance policies for properties within or adjacent to a fire perimeter pursuant to insurance code Section 675.1(b)(1). Read the full notice here
  • Small Business Administration Loans – If you are located in a declared disaster area, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Three types of disaster loans are available: Business Physical Disaster Loans, Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL), and Home Disaster Loans. Learn more about the types of disaster loans available, credit requirements, and interest rates here. You do not need to own a business in order to possibly be eligible for an SBA loan.
What is being cleared?

Phase I is the Household Hazardous Waste removal phase. Household hazardous waste removal does not require the Right-of-Entry form to be conducted. Once a wildfire happens in an area, the California Office of Emergency Services automatically deploys the Department of Toxic Substances Control, or DTSC, to the region once the wildfire is 100% contained. Upon completion of Phase I; Phase II will be implemented within a very short time frame, approximately 2 weeks, which includes full parcel debris removal and testing.
Will I be contacted before my property is cleared? 
Yes, once Phase II begins, if you have filled out the Right-of-Entry (ROE) form and wish to participate in the State Private Property Debris Removal program (PPDR), and have submitted your:
1.           Completed ROE to the Environmental Health Department
2.           Copies of Driver’s licenses for all owners
3.           Insurance coverage documentation (if any)
4.           and if property is held in a trust, copies of the trust documentation
you will receive an Environmental Health Department signed copy for your files.
Where may I access the Right-of-Entry form?
The Right-of-Entry form may be accessed here: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/DocumentCenter/View/39652/County-of-Nevada---Right-of-Entry-River-Fire-2021
What else should I know about the Debris Removal process?
If you wish to not participate in the State’s Debris Removal program, you will need to fill out the “opt-out” form located here: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/DocumentCenter/View/39737/Private-Property-Opt-Out-Debris-Removal-Removal-Requirements--Form-with-Cover-Sheet?bidId=. This is required as there are specific items to ensure take place so that the property is in compliance when the owner wishes to rebuild.
Who should I contact with questions about the debris removal process?
Please contact Amy Irani, Director of Environmental Health at:
County of Nevada
Environmental Health Division
950 Maidu Avenue, Ste. 170
PO Box 559002
Nevada City, CA 95959-8617


Disaster Relief Handbooks – in English and Español
Morrison & Foerster (MoFo) is an international law firm with lawyers practicing throughout the United States, Asia, and Europe. The firm has created multiple “Helping Handbooks” in response to natural disasters. For individuals and small businesses affected by disaster, these handbooks offer information that will help with recovery.
IMPORTANT: Information in these documents may be out of date or for another region, but can provide a general roadmap for finding current and disaster-specific information.2-1-1
Please call 2-1-1 or 833-342-5211 for additional recovery resources and see 211’s After Evacuation / Returning Home section of this webpage for more resources and information.