CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF REAL ESTATE
Housing is Key COVID-19 Assistance Line
CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center
The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Program is a state-wide rent relief program for renters and landlords. Applications opened on March 17, 2021. The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program offered by the state is provided on a county by county basis.
California’s COVID-19 Rent Relief for Renters and Landlords
- For Placer County, this statewide rent relief is available through the "Emergency Rental Assistance Program" (or ERAP).
- For Nevada County, this statewide rent relief is available through Housing Is Key.
- https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/index.html Call for assistance
- 833-430-2122 - CA COVID-19 Rent Relief Call Center - For additional information, to find a Local Partner Network organization near you, or for eligibility and application help.
- 833-422-4255 - California Housing is Key COVID-19 Assistance Line
Am I Eligible?
Eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate in the program may apply on their own and receive 100% of unpaid rent dating from April 1, 2020. Applicants can receive up to 12 months of cumulative assistance unless they were 12 months behind at the time of application in which case they can receive 15 months of assistance.Eligibility Criteria
If one or more individuals in your household meet all of the following, you are eligible to apply:
- Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID–19; and
- Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
- a past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice;
- unsafe or unhealthy living conditions; or
- any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the program
- Have a household income that is not more than 80% of the Area Median Income
Applicants will not be asked about their citizenship, nor will they be required to show proof of citizenship.LANDLORDS
Am I Eligible?
If you are a landlord who has one or more eligible renters, you can apply to get reimbursed for 100% of each eligible renter’s unpaid rent from April 1, 2020.
- All payments must be used to satisfy the renter’s unpaid rent for the period from April 1, 2020.
- Your renters must take steps to verify that they meet eligibility requirements and sign the application
- Your renter’s household income must be at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
UPDATE: Assembly Bill 832 is now implemented. Results of AB 832 include the following changes:
- Qualifying landlords and renters are now able to receive 100% of unpaid rent (past and future).
- Eviction protects are extended until September 30, 2021.
Housing is Key provides resources to help Californians stay in their homes or understand housing options during COVID-19 and beyond. See more info in 211 program HOUSING IS KEY - DRE.